As a front line health care professional (registered nurse) and a veteran in working with media, Barbara Ficarra is a popular speaker at conferences, workshops and professional meetings. With her accessible manner and deep professional background, she is equally adept at addressing medical professionals, communications staff and the general public.
Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA is available to speak at your next conference, professional meeting, workshop, or event.
Discuss future speaking engagements with Barbara here.
Barbara’s focus includes:
- HEALTH AND DESIGN – DESIGN YOUR HEALTHY LIFE™
- THE INTERSECTION BETWEEN INTERIOR DESIGN, HEALTH, TECH AND ART
- HOW THE WORLD OF INTERIOR DESIGN IS INFLUENCING HEALTH
- LIFESTYLE, DESIGN AND HEALTH
- HEALTHY DESIGN MINI MAKEOVERS
- HEALTH AND HOME
- ENGAGING HEALTH CONSUMERS THROUGH SOCIAL NETWORKS
- THE CHANGING LANDSCAPE IN HEALTH CARE
- LATEST TRENDS IN SOCIAL HEALTH
- SOCIAL MEDIA IN MEDICINE AND HEALTH CARE
- HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS ENGAGING ONLINE IN SOCIAL MEDIA
- MOBILE TECHNOLOGY AND BEHAVIOR CHANGE
- HOW TELEMEDICINE AND TELEHEALTH ARE IMPACTING HEALTH CARE
- DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY, HEALTH IT AND PATIENT ENGAGEMENT
- MOBILE APPS, FRIEND OR FOE?
- THE ROLE OF THE PATIENT-PATIENT EMPOWERMENT | PATIENT ENGAGEMENT | PATIENT EXPERIENCE
- GAMIFICIATION TO ENGAGE PATIENTS
- PATIENT-CENTERED HEALTH CARE
- LEADERSHIP | EMPOWERMENT
Virtual Reality for Wellness and Patient Education | Medical Education – (VR/AR/MR Academic Author)
PIAA-Medical Liability and Medical Indemnity International Conference – Amsterdam, Netherlands
Speaker-Presentation – “Social Media: Friend or Foe in 21st Century Medicine” (Barbara’s presentation focuses on the pros and cons of social media networking for health care providers and organizations.)
Moderator: Dr. Hartley S. Stern, CEO, CMPA
Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA, founder Healthin30.com, award-winning broadcast journalist, writer – The Huffington Post, consultant
Jane O’Brien, former Head of Standards & Ethics, General Medical Council (GMC)
Chad P. Brouillard, Esq., Foster & Eldridge, LLP
Women’s Health Conversations Conference – Pittsburgh, PA
Speaker – Presentation Title – “Consumer Engagement: How Social Media and Digital Technology are Changing Health Care” – This presentation encourages consumers to take charge of their health.
HIMSS Southern California
Annual Health Information Technology Conference “Healthcare Consumerism: Why Should You Care” – California Endowment Center for Healthy Communities Los Angeles, CA – Los Angeles Conference Center Moderator/Speaking: “Social Media in Healthcare: Promoting Patient Empowerment and Engagement, Healthcare Value, and Patient Centered Care”
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) – Phoenix, Arizona
Moderator: “Patient Empowered Care Physician and Clinician Panel”
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation – East Hanover, New Jersey
Internal Event – Presentation: “Social Media is Changing the Landscape in Health Care – Social Health and Medicine”
Ivey Global Health Care Conference – Toronto, ON Canada
Measuring What Matters: Cost vs. Value – Metro Toronto Convention Centre
Panel Session: Needs, Wants and Values in Health Care: The Public Perspective – the panel will provide insights on what the public values when it comes to their health care and the system.
Moderator: Mr. Neil Fraser, President, Medtronic of Canada Ltd. & Regional Vice President – Canada, Medtronic Inc.
Mr. Jeffrey Simpson, National Affairs Columnist, Globe and Mail
Ms. Barbara Ficarra, Founder, Healthin30
Mr. Bruce Wallace, Editor, Policy Options Magazine (IRPP)
Dr. Marla Shapiro, Medical Contributor to CTV’s Canada AM and Medical Consultant for CTV News
Barbara’s presentation focus: patient-centric health care and the patient experience. Title: Patient-Centerd Care: Empathy, Communication and Collaboration for Better Health
Cayman Islands National Healthcare 20/20 Conference – Ritz Carlton, Grand Cayman
Presentation Title: The Rise of Digital Technology for Better Patient Engagement
e-Patient Connections – Philadelphia, PA
Title: Let the Games Begin! Using Gamification as a Tool to Engage e-Patients Effectively
BlogHer – New York, New York
HealthMinder Day – Presentation Title: Self-Care & Social Health | Our Real Health: One of the Last Taboos
Cleveland Clinic – Cleveland, Ohio
Patient Experience: Empathy and Innovation Summit
Presentation Title: Social Media in Health Care
Arkansas HIMSS – Little Rock, Arkansas
H.I.T. it to the Green with Leadership
Presentation Title: Using IT to Engage the Patient
Can Health Care Providers Afford to Ignore Social Media?
Social Media: Are you engaged or do you ignore it?
Moderator-1 Hour Webinar
Power of Facebook and Mobile Technology to Help Drive Behavior Change
Moderator – 1 Hour Webinar
Blogworld and New Media Expo Offer Social Health Track – Los Angeles, CA
Scholarship awarded by Johnson & Johnson to moderate panel
Moderator Presentation Title: “Physicians Engaging Online in Social Health”
The Socialization of Breast Cancer
Moderator – 1 Hour Webinar
31st Annual Oncology Nurses Symposium – San Diego, California
Presentation Title: The Use of Social Media in Health Care
Health+Tech Next Generation Conference – San Francisco, California
Presentation Title: Role of Social Media – Healthcare 140 Characters or Less
e-Patient Connections Conference – Philadelphia, PA
Presentation Title: Social Networking: A Critical Link to Engage Patients and Health Care Professionals:
Through the popular Pecha Kucha format, 20 slides in exactly 6 minutes and 40 seconds long; I will explain how patients engagement with social networking gives them a voice and helps them take actionable steps in improving their health, and at the same time, how it allows health care professionals to engage in real-time with health care consumers to foster positive interactions.
Eyeforpharma Conference Customer Centric – Philadelphia, PA
Presentation Title: “Empower patients to take charge of their health care.” – Discover the best practices in patient engagement through social networking
“Patient Empowerment: Engaging Our Patients to Take Charge of Their Health.”
Keynote speaker at the NY City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene on in New York City Bureau of Tuberculosis Control. [Speaking Event at NY City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene – Patient Empowerment.]
“The Rise of the e-Patient and Implications of Social Media Health Care Content” – Atlanta, Georgia
Medical Communications Conference
Barbara and Matthew Holt, TheHealthCareBlog are scheduled to present. [Update: The 30th Annual Medical Communications Conference has been recently canceled.]
- Engage and Educate the Health Consumer through Social Media.
- Learn how to engage health consumers through blogs, twitter and facebook.
- Step out of your comfort zone and explore new insights and technology.
Additional presentations by Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA
- “Experts Speak Out, Listeners Speak Up,“ Nursing Spectrum conference, New York City
- “Using Our Voice,” Critical Care Nurses Association meeting, New Jersey
- “Nurses in the Media,” HUMC, New Jersey
- “Healthcare Professionals Together for You,”™ keynote at the Marriott Glenpointe Hotel, Teaneck, New Jersey
- “Have you Heard About Health in 30?” Hudson Valley Chapter (HVC) of the American Society of Ophthalmic Registered Nurses (ASORN), New York
- “Professional Development: In the Media and Behind the Microphone,”keynote speaker, NPACE Primary Care Conference, Boston
Please take a look at Barbara’s Portfolio.